Just because I have three kids aged four and under doesn't mean I don't have time to think about presentation...it just means I usually don't have time. I love this edible salad bowl that I've been making for years because even if you don't have time, you can make this in less time than it will take you to read this blog. Seriously fast makes this a fancy fake-out and it even got an 18-month-old to eat some salad- a winner for dinner parties or just making the weekly meal something new and enticing.
Edible Salad Bowl
Shredded parmesan, romano, and asiago cheeses
Note: I've used just parmesan cheese before, so whatever you have on hand is fine. Just make sure it's shredded and not grated. You can also use olive oil instead of coconut oil, but you know me, whatever excuse I have to add coconut oil to my family's diet, I do.
1) Heat ~ 1/2 tsp coconut oil in a small frying pan over medium heat.
2) Once the oil is melted and spread over the pan, sprinkle the shredded cheese in an even layer to coat the pan.
3) The cheese will start to melt and bubble and you will start to see the edges turn brown.
4) Once all edges are turning brown, remove the pan from heat and place a small bowl in the middle of the pan.
5) Cover the bowl with the top of a plate that is larger than your frying pan and flip over, setting the bowl and cheese on the plate to dry. (Be careful when flipping. If you used too much oil, it may drip down, which is why it's important that your plate is larger than your frying pan)
6) Let the edible cheese bowl dry on your bowl for a few minutes and then remove the cheese bowl. Looks a little like coral in the ocean, doesn't it?
7) Fill with your favorite salad. Holds up well to salad dressing, but it's best if you plan to serve the salad right away. Unlike the below picture, you probably don't need extra cheese on the salad. My kids just love cheese.
~Have fun and live healthy!