This recipe, (Bacon, Lettuce, & Roasted bell pepper Sandwich), is probably more on the side of having fun as opposed to living healthy. Although I only have bacon in the house twice a year, when I do, this is my go to sandwich.
I’m not one for too much creativity in the kitchen and usually go for tested and recommended most any day. I first made this original recipe nearly two years ago, when a neighbor had a new baby. I have to confess that at first, I was going to make kalua pig, but didn’t plan accordingly and running out of time, I thought I’d take a stab at creating something with the ingredients I had on hand.
I don’t know if it was all the cooking channel shows I’d been watching, but I definitely am appreciative of the inspiration, to be able to bring some friends a yummy break to their sleeplessness. Since having kids is like a blur, I think that the sandwich name is quite appropriate for the occasion. Now, I make this BLRbp sandwich every time I have houseguests. Cooking the bacon while roasting bell papers and using store bought pesto make this an easy hit with visitors, yet it totally comes off as gourmet. I think my husband invites people to stay with us just so he can have bacon.
This recipe should be made to eat right away, though I dare you to try and save any after the smells from your kitchen. When you adjust for the portions you need, remember it’s hard to eat just one!
BLRbp Sandwich (Bacon, Lettuce, & Roasted bell pepper)
3-4 slices Bacon
1-2 Heart of Romaine Lettuce leaves
½ Red Bell Pepper
2 slices Sourdough bread
2 slices Muenster cheese
Pesto with Basil
Olive oil, salt, and pepper
1) Preheat oven to 400°. You will need to have two racks in the oven for cooking. Line two 11”x17” cookie pans with foil and place a cookie drying rack on top of one of the lined pans.
2) Cut deseeded red bell pepper into quarters and put two quarters per sandwich on the lined pan, alternating facing up or down. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3) Place bacon flat on the drying rack lined pan, 3-4 per sandwich. Make sure there are no parts that overlap.
4) Cook both pans in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. Now here’s the trick. You’ll probably need to wait outside while this cooks, because the smells from your kitchen will just make you salivate. I try to squeeze in a shower with my favorite Wailani’s tropical body scrub to get my mind off the food.
5) Lightly toast the sourdough bread and spread one side of the sandwich with your favorite store-brand Pesto with Basil. Yes, I’ve made it at home before, but remember I said this is a fast way to do something nice for a friend that they’ll be sure to eat over and over again.
6) To finish your sandwich construction, add a layer of roasted bell peppers to the pesto, top with a couple slices of muenster cheese, some romaine lettuce, and your slices of bacon. Put a lid on it and enjoy right away and tell me you can eat only one!
Whether you’re looking to serve someone else or you just want a new spin on an old classic, this sandwich will definitely become a favorite, even after you may have banned bacon from the house in favor of healthy living.